Friday, April 5, 2013

New face at Cold Creek: Shirly Girot













I went looking for early Bluebirds at Cold Creek today but did not find any.   Instead, I found Shirly Girot, (pictured at left) the new Environmental Stewardship Coordinator in King Township's Parks, Recreation & Culture Department.   Shirly will be hanging her hat at Cold Creek Conservation Area, where she is also the Cold Creek Site Coordinator.   As I passed the education centre, Shirly called out to me and asked if needed any information.   I told her I was looking to see if any Bluebirds had showed up at the bird boxes yet.   She had not see any yet but she knew that Bluebirds do nest at Cold Creek and eagerly added that the volunteer Cold Creek Stewardship Committee had just reported the Bluebird nesting program for 2012 had shown an encouraging increase of nest box use over the previous year.   I had just received similar info from Nigel Hussey, Cold Creek Stewardship Vice President, a day or two earlier.   I was very impressed that Shirly had this news and could quote it so spontaneously.   I decided right there and then that King Township has made a great hire with this person.   When Shirley discovered I had a previous connection with the Cold Creek Stewardship and now had this blogsite, she immediately gave me a couple of flyers of upcoming events and asked if I would publicize them.   So here are a couple of events that you might want to attend in the next month or so.   The first is a Wildflower Walk on April 24 at 10 a.m. , which includes a free environmental stewardship workshop!   The second event is Springfest on May 11 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.   Activities at Springfest will include bouncy castles, rock climbing, low ropes course, geocaching, crafts, and guided nature hikes.   There will also be King Township camps registration, bird box building workshop, rain barrel and compost bin and bat box sale, as well as food and beverages.   Admission for this event is $10 per car which includes the cost of refreshments.   Refreshments will include BBQ burgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, popcorn, cotton candy, juice and water.   This event is for all ages.   Best wishes to Shirly as she brings her talents and enthusiasm to Cold Creek.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace      

1 comment: