Saturday, October 12, 2013

My grandmother would have loved this...


Photo by Barry Wallace
While out on my photographic wanderings in King Township today, I spotted this beautiful, basketball-sized puffball at the entrance to the Lloydtown Pioneer Cemetery.   When I was a child and visited my grandparents' farm, south of Barrie, in Innisfil Township, my gramma Alice would have taken charge of a puffball like this by slicing it up and frying it in butter.   It would have a wonderful mushroom taste. A puffball like the one above, at about 12" in diameter, would feed a lot people on the farm.   I resisted the temptation to scoop up this puffball and thought that it should probably go to someone who could feed a bunch of folks.   It was definitely too big for my wife and me.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment