Saturday, October 10, 2015

Trumpeter Swan ~ Schomberg


Canada Geese can usually be seen on the large pond at the Schomberg sewage treatment plant, but on this past Sunday they were joined by a Trumpeter Swan.   The geese slowly moved away from me but the swan headed for the shore on which I was standing and floated offshore for several minutes as if waiting for me to throw food to it.   This was the first time I have been approached by a Trumpeter Swan like this.   In the past they have always been wary and never approached.   The re-introduction of these huge birds in south-central Canada has been so successful in the last two decades, that I can't help but think the swans have lost a lot of their natural reserve about humans.   May it remain so.   They are great to see up close.



























Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment