Monday, August 7, 2017

Post and beam construction

Photo by Barry Wallace
Gambrel roof barn rises up
After waxing elegantly a week or so ago about the 'old-new-old' wood barn on Keele Street, at the north end of Kettleby, I was excited to discover on the same day another barn with a similar, classic look.   This one is located on Dufferin Street, east of Kettleby. I had been watching the construction of the new foundation for this barn for several weeks wondering what the upper structure would look like.   Now I know....and tradition prevails.   It matters not to me with what it will be clad: wood or metal or whatever.   It's the overall shape and design that I care about and I do like traditional designs in barns.   But what can I say?   I'm a 75-year-old fart who had a grandfather with a gambrel roof barn.   When I was a kid. I lived on his farm for a year and I loved his barn....and him.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace








2 comments:

  1. How nice that this barn in particular its roof brings back heartwarming memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the informative post Barry. I noticed the new barn on Dufferin and though the same thing about how nice it was to keep the traditional shape.

    I am curious to see what the new owners of the land just south of there will build with the million dollar view facing west where you can see well past Shelburne.

    ReplyDelete