Sunday, October 8, 2017

Mighty mechanization on King's farmlands

Photo by Barry Wallace
Sidney Thomas, my maternal grandfather, came to mind when I took the King Township picture above, recently.  When I was a kid, Sid had a farm, on Highway 11, between Bradford and Barrie, which he farmed for many, many years, after the Depression.   He used one pair of horses for his farming needs: ploughing, discing, harrowing, seeding, manure spreading, harvesting, etc., etc.   I did a few of those chores myself, under his guidance.   50 acres could keep a man busy 80 years ago, without a tractor.
Please comment if you wish.
Barry Wallace 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see land still being worked in King . Barry I was wondering if Camera on King could do a shoot on the Crossley farm ( N.W. corner of Dufferin & King/Vaughan Line).I briefly talked with Dan last summer at my Dads memorial service , and he still lives on the farm his father and grandfather worked. His dad Carlton has an amazing history (2 world wars and a bush pilot)that would make a great Indiana Jones movie. His grandfather built the Crossley Hall that was beside the Baptist church in king. It is said that P.M. Mackenzie King campaigned there and Pauline Johnson once recited her poems.
    The farm hasn't changed much over the years , and Dan is of a generation that has first hand knowledge from the "old King Township" and I'm sure he'd like to share with the people who follow this site.

    To All - Enjoy this Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete